November 23, 2020
Who doesn’t want whiter teeth? Even people without significant stains often want to simply brighten their smiles by lightening their teeth a shade or two. If you’ve used a whitening treatment and then noticed that your teeth feel particularly sensitive afterward, you’re completely normal! Many people find that teeth whitening causes their teeth to ache or become more sensitive to temperatures. So, is there a way to alleviate the discomfort and still achieve a whiter smile? Your Reading MA teeth whitening experts say there is. Check out the information below to learn what causes teeth sensitivity from whitening and how it can be avoided.
Why Do My Teeth Feel Sensitive After a Whitening Treatment?
Most teeth whitening products, whether they are gels, strips, toothpastes, or rinses, contain an ingredient called carbamide peroxide. This is the tool responsible for bleaching the natural color of the tooth, and because it permeates beneath the surface of the enamel, it causes the tooth to temporarily become slightly more porous. This makes the nerves below more exposed, thus causing increased sensitivity. The longer the treatment, the higher the likelihood of sensitivity.
What Can I Do to Avoid Post-Whitening Sensitivity?
If you do decide to go with an “over-the-counter” (OTC) whitening treatment, there are several different ways that you can help alleviate the sensitivity in your teeth that may follow:
- Choose an “OTC” whitening product with a lower concentration of peroxide.
- Reduce treatment time per session.
- Increase the time in between treatments.
- Brush your teeth with a toothpaste made for sensitivity.
- When cleaning your teeth, brush gently and use lukewarm water.
- Wait 24-48 hours before consuming hot or cold food and beverages following treatment.
- Do not use “OTC” treatments excessively.
Is Professional Whitening Better than Over-the-Counter Treatments?
If you’re fed up with researching the hundreds of “OTC” whitening treatments out there, dealing with the discomfort that follows, and not knowing which one is best for you, it’s time to look to professional whitening! Here are just a few of the benefits of choosing professional whitening from a trusted dentist:
- You will have the confidence that your dentist is an expert who can assess your particular whitening needs.
- Every smile is different, and no two people experience dental sensitivity in the same way. Your dentist can adjust treatments accordingly, meaning you’ll likely be able to dodge sensitivity altogether!
- You won’t have to worry about throwing away your money on “OTC” options that are not proven to work for everyone.
Maybe you had given up on effective and long-lasting teeth whitening without discomfort, but with professional whitening, your trusted dentist can help you achieve the smile of your dreams without the discomfort!
About the Author
Dr. Gail Iebba’s favorite part of her job are the patients she gets to work with and help every day. As a dental expert of 32 years, she is committed to ensuring that every patient experiences maximum comfort during any dental treatment. Associates in Family Dentistry is focused on offering community-oriented dentistry for families in and around Reading, MA. We would love to meet you and answer any questions you may have. Visit us online, or call us at (781) 954–5277.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.